Open Call: Residency Habitación
31.03.2021 – 27.05.2021, Open Calls
Centro Huarte, Navarre
Held at: Centro Huarte
Open Call • Residency • Support Structures
In the framework of the European project Who Cares? Centro Huarte offers an international residency program for two or more artists that will take place from September 1 to October 24, 2021.
Who Cares? is a program supported by Creative Europe focusing on care practices, seeking to permeate through the participating organisations' infrastructure and programmes. We ask ourselves about who we are caring for, in order to build in interdependence with the communities with which we develop our activity as art production centres.
For this reason, the residency programme is collaborating with Mapamundistas), a local initiative developed for 15 years in different spaces in Pamplona and its surroundings curated by Alexandra Baurès. The Mapamundistas 2021 edition is entitled Un movimiento que engendra un movimiento (A movement that produces a movement) and will seek to explore the transformative power of emotions and their collective dimension.
This residency will take place in Habitación in Centro Huarte. Habitación is a hybrid project between residency and exhibition, in which artists make use of the work space and it is open to the public on weekends.
During the process, the artists will share their work and process also on the Who Cares? website and will get a personalized assessment by a mentor working on the theme they propose.
We are looking for a project developed by two artists or more, established as a collective, that explores art as a place for dialogue and exchange of methodologies, delving into care, affects and knowledge transfer. An approach to the local community for the development of the process will be positively valued.
Since the possibilities of physical encounters have been radically reduced in the last year, initiatives that understand artistic practice as a tool of collective resistance to go through this period of disruption and social change will be supported. In other words, projects are encouraged to investigate care and affective practices in relation to the current moment we are living.
Topics to be addressed may include (but are not limited to):
- Affective and care networks, in relation to the local area
- Mental health, psychic pain, social discomfort
- Adaptation and self-recovery, body capacity
- Sustainability of life in times of pandemic
- Art as a generator of other ways of being
- Economic precariousness, but also affective and emotional precariousness
- Artistic tools for interpersonal transformation
- Ways to silence fear and curb hatred
- The political dimension of affects and emotions
TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED
Two artists or a collective from any field, based in Europe. Preferably fluent in the local languages (Spanish and/or Basque). Exceptionally, a project could be chosen for artists who do not have a knowledge of these languages, but have a great experience in working with collectives.
WHAT IS OFFERED
- 1.200€ for the production of the project
- 4.000€ in fees (to be divided equally among the participating artists) *
- Travel and accommodation for two people*
- Work space at the Centro Huarte, including existing technical and technological resources
- Accompaniment in the development of the project by the Centro Huarte and Mapamundistas team
- Specialized mentoring during 4 working sessions
- Approach to local artistic agents
In the case of collectives, they must share the fees and assume the travel and accommodation expenses for more than two people, which cannot be included in the production costs.
The deadline for submission of proposals is May 27, 2021, at 23:59 (UTC +2). Projects submitted after that time will not be considered.
The selection will be communicated within a maximum period of one month from the closing date of the call.
The residency will take place in Centro Huarte from September 1 to October 24. When coming from abroad, the residency may be brought forward or extended in two more weeks.
The selection of the projects will be made by the working team of Who Cares? project and Mapamundistas, according to these criteria:
- Artistic quality of the project
- Interest of the proposal and topic in relation to the lines of action of Centro Huarte
- Feasibility in terms of economic resources and timetable
- Experience/qualifications of the persons
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following documents by following this link. Please submit everything in a single document in PDF format (name_surname.pdf, max. 5mb) including:
- Project summary (also in English)
- Project (maximum length 4 pages)
- Images of previous works and/or related to the proposal to facilitate the understanding of the project (in case of videos insert links)
- Timeline or work schedule
- Estimated cost of materials (including taxes) necessary for the production of the project.
- Biography or curriculum vitae of the participants
- Optional: suggestions of people who could carry out the specialized follow-up
Important: Projects that do not apply with all the requested documentation will not be evaluated.
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
The fact of applying to this call implies the acceptance of these rules and the following commitments:
- To materialize the project in Centro Huarte's Habitación space in the form in which it has been presented in the dossier. Any substantial change must be reported to Centro Huarte.
- The receipt of this aid is not incompatible with other aid for the same project granted by other organizations, provided that the costs they subsidize are not those assumed by Centro Huarte.
- The selected works will be the property of the author or authors. Centro Huarte, Mapamundistas and Who Cares? may reproduce and disseminate all or part of the program through online publications or in paper format, always citing the respective authorship. Centro Huarte will archive all documentation generated from this call.
- In the event that the project involves the publication of any print or audio-visual material, it must be previously communicated and it must be highlighted that the project has received the support of Centro Huarte, with the phrase:
"Project developed in the Habitación residency program at Centro Huarte, with the support of the Creative Europe program" and the logo of Centro Huarte, Mapamundistas, Who Cares? and Creative Europe.